Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Situation

Now, I'm not talking about the guy from Jersey Shore ;-)

I'm talking about the fact that I'm getting more and more frustrated because parents are not being supported to have their children home on ventilators up here - and it's not necessarily having the support of people, but needing a system in place to allow you to have your child home.

It seems like such a foreign concept to people.
But for parents who are extremely involved and know their child better than anyone else, it is the most natural thing in the world to want to have your child under the same roof as you - ventilator or not.

Not having Moriah home is becoming more and more foreign as she is getting older, and becoming more attached to us. To leave our child at night as she watches Mommy and Daddy go home is becoming such an odd concept to us.

We have recently started the process with CRC to get Moriah home (Yay!), and they have been very supportive with it - for which we are grateful. We are working out all the kinks with insurance, vendors, home nursing, doctors, etc. It's been a very slow process, but I know we will have her home soon enough. I know it. I feel it. God has given me such a peace about it.

But, what about the other families who want their children home??? We have met so many along the way who are facing obstacles - it just doesn't seem fair.

If there is something that Justin and I are extremely passionate about right now, it's this. And we will continue to do what it takes to try and change the situation.

If you have any suggestions or advice, or have been through something like this before, we are more than willing to listen. We continue to be amazed at the support received here.

Lots of love,
Team Nelson
(Our old Case Manager at LPCH, Lupe, gave us this title and now I'm hanging onto it ;-) )

5 comments:

Amy Young said...

what exciting news to hear that you are going to have her home! I can't wait to read that post! It will be so amazing! God bless you for your determination and your loyalty to your daughter and also for your continued support for so many other families. You are such wonderful people and you deserve to have that sweet baby girl at your home. Please post some video of her soon so we can see her interact with you. She is so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being open with your frustrations. What you expressed about leaving Moriah every night has often been on our hearts as we've prayed for you. There's something possessive about being a parent. WE want to be the ones who do things for our kids. As much effort as it might be when things get as complex as in our situations there's something in us that hates that someone else is being inconvenienced. I'm so glad for that passion to have Moriah at home with you and will pray both that she makes strides in coming off the vent and that the right support would be in place for you to have her with you in Jesus' time.

Proud members of the Team Nelson Fan Club!

Rolf and Trish

The Simmons Family said...

I know that 'team Nelson' will get this done!! I can't imagine leaving Owen at night. He sleeps next to me and I can't even leave him at the hospital at night. I can't wait until Moriah is home.

cici said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I HATE hospital stays. Its so hard for us, I live with Skye at the hospital while she is admitted but I can see how rough it must be on her as well as you guys!!
Glad to see that you are starting your adventure home!

Moriah & Friends’ List of 50 Disability-Inclusive Children’s Books

Hiya Friends!  This list has been in the making for the past year as I've come across numerous disability-inclusive children's books...