Today marks five years since the death of Moriah. Much has changed since her passing, yet so much of her remains in all we do. I (Justin) wrote this as I am preparing as a Hospital Chaplain. Trying to answer the "Why" of Moriah's death feels like an impossible task...but it's worth trying. She is more than worth it. May it be a comfort to those who are still asking the question in their own lives...
The death of my daughter, Moriah
Sarjit Nelson, continues to be one of the greatest defining moments of my
life. Six months in utero, my wife and I
were told that our daughter will be born with a significant heart defect. As she joined the world of the living, we
realized that she had additional complications.
Even the beginnings of her story stir up a plethora of emotions and
thoughts. Why did this happen? Despair. Uncertainty. Anger. If there was a God, how could this happen? The list can go on and on.
Her story included a one-year
hospitalization in a Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit, a year in a subacute
facility, not to mention numerous hospitalizations. When things go wrong for so long, one can’t
help but wonder what the point is in all of this. What makes it worse is that it is at the
expense of a child…MY child. She did
nothing wrong; nothing to deserve such a painful existence for many years. Losing her at the young age of seven seemed
to affirm feelings of protest, bitterness, anger, and resentment.
My Christian faith has been the
one constant source of strength. It
continues to be the only buoy that remains floating in my sea of despair. It is the one place where I find rescue. It is dependent on the Incarnate God, made
Human, who not just says He understands through words on a page, but physically
endured and willingly engaged in the suffering of humanity…my suffering. At the same time, it has often been a source
of confusion. Much of my understanding
has been taught through dichotomy: Good
vs. Evil. Jesus vs. Satan. Sickness vs. Health. Heaven vs. Hell. Salvation vs. Damnation, Holiness vs.
sinfulness, etc. My intention is not
to diminish nor uplift these dichotomies, but to simply say it exists.
So how does Moriah’s story fit? In
Everything Happens for a Reason: And Other Lies I’ve Loved, Kate Bowler
seems to provide a great example of what the Western Church might feel like to
a person in the depths of suffering and despair:
The world, it seems, is also filled with fathers and mothers
begging for their children’s lives and hearing nothing but silence. And, ever after, every church service that
sings that God is good rattles like tin in their ears. There can be only one reasonable conclusion,
says a father whose children have been cut down by disease: no one is
listening.[1]
In my
experience, there is a strong, unsaid pull within Western Church theology to
find the hope and silver lining in suffering. There seems to be a hunger to know the reason
for every suffering and evil that leads to a satisfying, pleasant ending. To not be able to do so is a sign of weak
faith doesn’t reflect a god of love. I
admit that early in my journey, I was searching for this ending. I was searching for this meaning. Yet with each disappointment, the pursuit
seemed foolish. Not only that, but it
felt like it was cheapening my daughter’s story. It was so much more complex. So much deeper. There was no way to put it into a pithy
saying that could somehow make me feel better and question God less.
It has been five years since
Moriah has passed, and I am far from getting all the answers to the why
of her story. But as time goes on, my
understanding is less of a dichotomy.
Moriah’s story will never fit a simple explanation. Instead, I’m seeing it as a both/and;
no longer either/or. Moriah’s
story is NOT about something bad happening so something good happens. Far from it.
Even writing that sentence pisses me off. I believe that the Christian God is calling
me to hold both in tension.
Yes, it was evil, it was wrong, it
was unfair, it was cruel how my daughter had to suffer. And like Christ, yes, the cross was
horrendous, horrible, brutal, unfair, and cruel. And yet Moriah’s story was beautiful,
lifegiving, miraculous, and my greatest gift to seeing people as I believe
Christ calls me to see and love. Her
life has touched endless families. Her
life continues to speak through everything I have done up to this point;
quitting my job with a family and pursing a God that I believe has invited me
into something deeper and greater that I have yet to comprehend. To go to seminary, work in a church, and
eventually get to work in Clinical Pastoral Education as a Hospital Chaplain
and visit the rooms of other people who are in the midst of their own
despair. I feel like I see everything through
her eyes. And like Christ, the cross
also leads to God’s greatest display of love for humankind. Through his boundless and uncompromising
love, Jesus made a way for a man like me to know God freely. The cross is beautiful, humble, hopeful,
freeing, generous…the cross is love.
So why did Moriah die? Why did her story go the way it went? I think it is both/and…none of it is wasted…it
simply is.
[1] Bowler,
Kate. Everything Happens for a Reason: And Other Lies I've Loved.
New York: Random House, 2019.
2 comments:
That's beautiful and the photo says it all.
One thing I know, is Moriah felt more love than most children do in a lifetime. That was God's plan.
I hope you and Victoria have a wonderful blessed Christmas.
I miss the blog.I miss Moriah's smile and Rudy too!
xo
That's such a beautiful picture of you and Moriah! I think if her often (well, we bought the book too? Has it really been five years already ?
Post a Comment